29/04/2012

The local restaurant: Bistro Union

Amongst my recent finds is this cool bistro in the heart of one of my favourite neighborhoods in London, recently launched by the same Adam Byatt of Trinity Restaurant in Clapham.
Not too much to say besides that - as I was in the area 3 times on the same week or so - I've been there twice already. It says it all.
Bistro Union is, like most of my favourite places in London and elsewhere, about simple dishes at  reasonable prices. It's the kind of place where you feel like trying a little of everything.
To start with, bread came with a butter to die for (if I remember well at Trinity they make their own butter, so that could be the reason). And then more Anchovy Toast came, or rather bread spread with a delicious Anchoiade sauce and a boiled Duck Egg on the side.
A fish finger had the size of a kid's sandwich, i.e in a couple of bites it was gone. But then again, so nice to try all the small dishes, which by the way start at £2...
We then had the simplest yet special Baked Aubergine with mint and cow's curd (which turned out to be sort of a ricotta), and a substantial Fish Pie (with salmon, white fish and peas).
Desserts all sounded intriguingly "retro" . We had the Poached Rhubarb and the Tapioca with raspberry jam. They both came with custard on the side, which as with the butter tasted of freshly made with some very special milk of some very happy cows.
The atmosphere and the crowd made me feel I wasn't in London but rather in a smaller village. And I wished I was a neighbour ...
www.bistrounion.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment